Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On eHarmony...

So in a recent spat of tequila, boredom and facebook stalking exs, I began to get a little low.  And when I get depressed, and throw in alcohol and the internet what usually results is incredibly stupid but usually amusing stories.

So I joined eHarmony.

Now before I get the usual assortment of complaints, comments and warnings about Internet dating.  Trust me.  This I know.  But after trying the gym, bars, clubs, Starbucks, B & N's, church, my neighborhood, other cities, other countries, oil change places, the library, work, and networking events, I am flat out of options.  Since trusting serendipity to play matchmaker isn't working I thought I would try the world wide web.  Cause nothing bad every happens on the internet.

At first I looked at each profile with a certain amount of nervousness.  I sent introductions to 90% of the guys on my list.  Whenever I closed a match I did it with a certain amount of apology, wanting to tell them, it's not you it's me. I waited, and hoped, and pined, and dreamed.

I received absolutely no response.

I don't mean I didn't get a response i.e. that led to a meaningful relationship, or a phone call, or message.

Zip. Nada. Nothing. Nyet.

The guy panhandling in front of the Taco Bell on Ballenger and Corunna got more acknowledgement then me.

Over 150 guys. Not a single one. So I consulted some experts in the field, i.e. the one guy I can ask dating questions to.  And he said, "Most likely they are scared." Really.  How can you be scared? I mean who wouldn't want to date a girl with a profile pic like this -

Seriously this is my profile pic.

Is it my rambling lack of sentence structure...which often works stream of conscious...often referencing things like ooo cheese...I really want popcorn right now...where was I? Oh yay, my profile. Could it be that?

No, rather it was the same fears I had. The same fear everyone has. What might happen in a relationship, both good and bad.  Relationships leave us vulnerable and nobody wants to be that.  Apparently I have no sense of self preservation though and had no problem contacting strange guys on the internet.

So I pulled up my big girl pants, and decided I wouldn't let the affirmation or approval of a couple hundred eHarmony guys ruin my day.  I dusted the dirt from my sandals, quit the account and looked on to better days and dating in real life.

Until eHarmony contacted me and said I still had two months left of my commitment at the tune of $49.95 a month.

I guess one more look wouldn't hurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment