Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On St. Patty's Day...

Anyone acquainted with Ireland knows that the morning of St. Patrick's Day consists of the night of the seventeenth of March flavored strongly with the morning of the eighteenth.  ~Author Unknown

St. Patty's Day has always been a special day for me.  Whether it was partying in Tully Cross in 2003, carousing with sister and the AQ Girls in 06 (Rachel hit on a Republican!), and Savannah 08 (Remember when the lights went out in Georgia?).  It has always been a night to renew friendships and celebrate my many blessings.

Until Flint.

See St. Patty's Day isn't exactly big in Flint. Oh we have our fun, our parades and our obligatory green beer. But it lacked the friends and memories of other years.  In all those other places, other times, I fit.  And still on this one day I realized that I didn't fit. That I was still a stranger in my hometown.

Until this year.

I gathered with friends and roomies, and the Jaruzels, the Gentrys, Mama Lu. And so many others. And I laughed. And we eat. And we renewed friendships and celebrated our blessings.

And I laughed.  And I belonged.

And I fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment